Native trees to plant in your garden
There are many native trees that you can plant in your garden, depending on your preferences, space and soil conditions. Some of the best UK native trees for gardens are:
- Silver Birch (Betula pendula): a graceful tree with white bark and yellow autumn leaves. It attracts many birds and insects and can grow in most soils. Growing quickly but not too high or wide and is a great addition to a small cluster of trees or perfect as a stand-alone specimen.
- Holly (Ilex aquifolium): an evergreen tree with glossy leaves and red berries on female plants. It provides shelter and food for wildlife and can be used as a hedge or a specimen tree. It can be clipped to shape and is evergreen so ideal for small gardens.
- Rowan (Sorbus aucuparia): a small tree with clusters of white flowers in spring and red berries in autumn. It is a favourite of many birds and can tolerate poor soils and exposed sites. Fruits can used for making jelly,
- Crabapple (Malus sylvestris): a medium-sized tree with fragrant pink-white flowers in spring and yellow-red fruits in autumn. It is a good pollinator for other apple trees and its fruits can be used to make jelly.
- Hazel (Corylus avellana): a large shrub or small tree with catkins in late winter and edible nuts in autumn. It can be coppiced to produce useful wood and supports many woodland species.
These are just some examples of native trees that you can grow in your garden. You can find more information and buy trees from Trees by Post. We hope this helps you choose the best trees for your garden.